Several months ago, I was listing to a podcast from one of my favorite pastor’s in which he was preaching on Peter’s miraculous water walking experience. Now I have heard this story many times and can tell it with great detail. However, when the pastor shared his main point, I saw something that I had never seen before. The pastor’s main focus was a question, “Are you willing to do what only you can do in order to see God do what only he can do?”

This question was extremely relevant to me because my wife and I had just begun our adoption process, knowing that on paper there was no way we could pull it off. As I began wrestling with that question and reading Peter’s story over and over, God began speaking to me about this idea of “the space in-between.” The space in-between being the time frame between when you clearly hear God’s invitation to act and that moment when what he is inviting you into comes to pass. For instance, the space in-between Abraham hearing God’s call to sacrifice the son of promise and him raising the knife in the air to take his son’s life, or the space in-between Joseph receiving a prophetic dream from God and saving all of Egypt (including his family) from famine, or the space in-between Peter hearing God’s invitation to join him ON the water and taking his first step out of the boat and the list goes on.

Scripture says that God is able to do immeasurably more than we think or imagine. I am convinced most Christians do not get to experience the supernatural activity of the Holy Spirit in their lives because they are not willing to put themselves in the space in-between. The space in-between what we can think and imagine and what God can do above and beyond that is a scary place for us because it requires total trust in God. To use the words of the preacher, it takes doing all that we can do in order to see God do what only he can do. It means being out of control and in faith.

As I walk through the space in-between hearing God’s word to adopt and bringing my little girl home, I am full of confidence in my God and his ability to come through. Though our ability to facilitate this adoption is as nonexistent as Peter’s ability to walk on water, I know God is abundantly able! What is God calling you to? What life changing experience is he inviting you into? Whatever it is, I pray you find the courage to accept his invite and journey through the space in-between…it’s worth it!